The Fascination with Book Blurbs


The Fascination with Book Blurbs

There IS a way to read a 300 page book in less than 100 words. Or something. It’s called Blinkist. And you know, I’m not exactly sure what this app does. It seems legit, but until I’m rich enough to afford it, there’s no telling.

Blinkist is a dream come true for chronic readers like myself. I’ve been obsessed with reading for as long as I can remember. I’m pretty much a seasoned reader… of all things YA… Fantasy. You could say I’m a niche reader.

What is it in a book blurb anyway? (For those of you that don’t know—a book blurb is the little description at the back of the book. The blurb. That’s what it is. There’s no other word for it.) It either sells or it doesn’t. I’ve gone through thousands of blurbs, gosh. (Written one, too). And yet, there’s always a make-or-break factor. There are so many books I end up not reading.

I’d love to know what a book is about in short. And I mean everything in the book, including the plot twists and the cliff hangers. A sort of spoiler-esque version of the book, if you will. The outline.

And yet what is the point of writing if not for engaging the reader, easing them into traps and controlling their frail minds by presenting extreme emotion in text? Writers are basically mind controllers.

So maybe I don’t have the patience to sit through the flesh of the book. Or maybe I just don’t have the time and discipline anymore. A while back I did notice a trend: I’d read about a chapter or two of a self-help book, ardently taking notes before promptly abandoning it.

I’ve read a bunch of book blurbs today. I’ve read the blurbs for: The Female of The Species, Saving Francesca, On The Jellicoe Road (I really like the word Jellicoe—and calico too), and the blurbs for books from The Lumatere Chronicles which I’ve read before and thoroughly enjoyed.

I think this year has been quite average for my reading. I haven’t had a lot of time on my hands. I’ve watched a bunch of TV shows.

I’ll be writing up my 2018 update soon hopefully.

XOXO

ASI


You Might Also Like

1 comments