The discovery of audiobooks


I’ve been collecting audiobooks with no intention of reading them. Okay, so I’m going to listen to them… just, maybe someday. Audiobooks are awesome. I love them. I tried getting into podcasts but they bore me. Finding a place to get free audiobooks was like walking onto a gold mine.

I’ve found tons of audiobooks, and that too in the category of books that I absolutely LOVE. That’s Young Adult Fantasy. Listening to YA Fantasy has its down-sides. It’s hard to figure the spellings of some of the names in the books. I like to know exactly the spellings of places and spells in a book. However, they keep me enthralled in the fantastical world, and they’re usually filled with action and adventure that I love.

Regular fiction sounds great in audiobook. That’s stuff like YA Contemporary, or mystery, or just literary fiction. I love hearing the way narrators say their words, and I prefer American to British. It doesn’t have any complicated fantasy words, although I wonder about some people’s names.

I can’t ever get to listening to more than 100 minutes worth of audiobook, and I’ve gone through quite some 100 minutes.  It has something to do with the fact that I can’t ever get back to where I stopped. It’s taxing to keep coming back and trying to figure out where I left off.

Also, I’ve been listening to audiobooks while in car rides, and while taking a walk. I’ve been walking as a form of exercise. I love walking, and listening to audiobooks makes it more fun. I’ve also been listening to audiobooks in college, and just chilling and having a good time.

I don’t usually read sci-fi, but I LOVE sci-fi in audiobooks. Sci-fi is a genre I don’t usually listen to. That’s because it has all these technical terms that I usually KNOW I’m getting wrong. Compared to fantasy, where I can imagine everything, sci-fi already exists. All the transformers, and transistors, and whatever. Okay, I realize I’m trying too hard to explain why I dislike sci-fi, but the simple truth is that it’s not my cup of tea.

Audiobooks are great for when you’re just generally chilling, or when you want to fall asleep. I usually fall asleep when listening to audiobooks, and I can set a timer to automatically turn it off so I don’t have to wake up and start the process all over again.

I’m not usually patient person, and I read faster than the pace a narrator usually sets. However, I feel that listening to audiobooks is pretty cool, and it makes me feel accomplished, like I’m doing something really productive, even though I usually can’t do any other activity that demands attention when listening.

I’m definitely going to be listening to more audiobooks in 2018. This is one of my goals for 2017.


You Might Also Like

0 comments