Top Arabic Words to learn


Ahlan bikoum.
Today I bring you an Arabic post. It's my pick on the best Arabic words to learn this week. I'm thinking of making it a series. These words are chosen based on how often I hear them and how easy they are to learn. I got them from my Arabic learning sessions which you can learn more about in detail from here. Remember that I'm just a learner, not a native speaker and I may have made a few errors, so you can help me correct them if you spot any.

  • Rubbama- Maybe
Spelt as ر ُبّـَما in Arabic, it means "maybe" or "perhaps" or "might". It's used to talk about doubt or possibility. An example of this word in a sentence:

ربما و لا ربما
Maybe or maybe not.

 I hear this word a lot when listening to Arabic, and it's easy to catch. Rubbama is a word that's used "fairly often" and it's a good word to know.

  • Akeed- Sure
Akeed/ أكيد means "sure" or "of course". This word is used regularly in English for affirmative responses. This applies to Arabic as well. Example:

نذهب الآ ن  
Can we go now?
أكيد 
Sure.

  • Arjouk- Please
This is used when imploring someone for something, maybe to help you about something. It's written as أرجوك in Arabic. This word is also used regularly in conversation or when you're travelling and need help.

  • Entebe- Be careful
You can hear this word being shouted out because it can mean "watch out" or "look out". It's a good word to use when you're bidding someone farewell, or when they are going out to play, work or school. Example:

انتبه لِنفسك
Take care of yourself

  • Unthur- Look
I've heard this word being exclaimed,"Unthur!" It has the feels of someone saying "check it out", or "look over there". Example:

أنظر الى هذا
Look at this!
  • Intathir- Wait
You can use this word when you mean "wait for me", or "hold up". It's written as انتظر.
  • Lastu- Not
This literally means "I am not". The original verb form is "Laisa". Example:

الستُ بخير
I am not fine.

  • Taslim- Thanks
This can be used to mean thanks, although the more commonly used word is shukran. It literally means be safe or may your hand be safe
  • Atfal- Children
In Arabic, there are actually various words to describe children of different ages, but this is the generic word used for all children. The singular form is "Tifl". Example:

حيا يا اطفال
Come on, kids!
  • A'ataqada- I believe
Written in Arabic as أعتقد, it means "I believe", or "It seems" and even sometimes "I think". I've heard this a lot while watching NatGeo. I'd previously learned it over at memrise.com but couldn't exactly tell what it was because it's such a handful.


You Might Also Like

0 comments